Tapestry@School
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Footprints - Legacy of my favourite Teacher

+15
Michelle Teo
Cheryl Ng
TimPEST
lcybren
Thavam
aaronrajoo
tanjj
Wilsonsim75
Joel Ow Yong
Nicholas Chua
Charmain Loy
JustinL
ElaineY
Selvathi
Admin
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Footprints - Legacy of my favourite Teacher Empty Footprints - Legacy of my favourite Teacher

Post by Admin Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:02 pm

What is the FIRST THING you Remember about your Favourite Teacher? Share why.

Admin
Admin

https://tapestryatschool.666forum.com

Back to top Go down

Footprints - Legacy of my favourite Teacher Empty Re: Footprints - Legacy of my favourite Teacher

Post by Selvathi Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:44 pm

The first thing I remember about my favourite teacher is how she diligently guided not only myself but the rest in the class to do well in Math and believe in myself. She gave us lots of practice each day and was patient to reteach concepts we did not understand.

Selvathi

Back to top Go down

Footprints - Legacy of my favourite Teacher Empty Re: Footprints - Legacy of my favourite Teacher

Post by ElaineY Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:40 am

Her smile and her warmth. The class climate was wonderful and I felt safe and looked forward to going to school. She made us feel valued. That meant a lot to an 11-year old.

ElaineY

Back to top Go down

Post by JustinL Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:07 am

My favourite teacher was my form teacher in Sec 2 - Mrs Rosie Khoo. She taught our class English and History. She infused many interesting activities during her lessons that brought out the best in these subjects. Very encouraging teacher, she always used our written work for class discussion and recognized us for the strengths of our work. This motivated us to be serious in completing work set by her.

JustinL

Back to top Go down

Post by Charmain Loy Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:12 am

My favourite teacher was my P6 English teacher who sent every student in a class a personal letter before the school year started to welcome us. The letter also contained instructions on how to make a personalized pencil case that had to function as a desk name tag as well. We had to bring this pencil case on the first day of school. It was a brilliant idea as it made all of us feel special, and the task helped her put a name to all the new faces. Throughout the course of the year, she was funny, encouraging and a great storyteller.

Charmain Loy

Back to top Go down

Post by Charmain Loy Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:18 am

JustinL wrote:My favourite teacher was my form teacher in Sec 2 - Mrs Rosie Khoo. She taught our class English and History. She infused many interesting activities during her lessons that brought out the best in these subjects. Very encouraging teacher, she always used our written work for class discussion and recognized us for the strengths of our work. This motivated us to be serious in completing work set by her.

Using written work for class discussions is a great way to encourage students to take ownership of their learning!

Charmain Loy

Back to top Go down

Post by Charmain Loy Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:23 am

ElaineY wrote:Her smile and her warmth. The class climate was wonderful and I felt safe and looked forward to going to school. She made us feel valued. That meant a lot to an 11-year old.

I agree that making students feel valued is important as it helps them see the potential in themselves, and motivates them to reach for their goals!

Charmain Loy

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicholas Chua Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:54 am

ElaineY wrote:Her smile and her warmth. The class climate was wonderful and I felt safe and looked forward to going to school. She made us feel valued. That meant a lot to an 11-year old.

I like the fact a teacher can make a student or a class feel safe. Some teachers can be fierce but yet they give people a sense of security.

Nicholas Chua

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicholas Chua Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:02 am

I only have a favourite teacher when I become an adult learner... so what I have learnt from him is to stay true to myself, embrace my weaknesses and be confident of my strength. When it comes to human relationship, I have learnt from him that it is important to choose my battles to fight, always under promise and over deliver, not being afraid to push boundaries, and to live/enjoy life to the fullest.

Nicholas Chua

Back to top Go down

Post by Joel Ow Yong Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:51 pm

Selvathi wrote:The first thing I remember about my favourite teacher is how she diligently guided not only myself but the rest in the class to do well in Math and believe in myself. She gave us lots of practice each day and was patient to reteach concepts we did not understand.

Teacher's belief in the students is key to any quality teacher-student relationship. What is valuable is the opportunity for the teachers to allow you to make mistake and be beside to lead you correctly. It is important for us as educators to teach our students that failure is an option too!

Joel Ow Yong

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilsonsim75 Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:30 pm

The first thing I remember about my favourite teacher is how she cared for all of us in the classroom. Through her words and action, I could feel her genuine care and concern. This helped to create a very safe environment for my friends and I to learn and to grow.

Wilsonsim75

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilsonsim75 Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:39 pm

I think a teacher who can make a student feel valued would mean a lot not only for an 11-year-old but also a 99-year-old.

Wilsonsim75

Back to top Go down

Post by tanjj Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:48 pm

The legacy of my favorite teacher is the passion and dedication she has shown and put in for the volleyball ECA (now CCA) back then, trainings 3 times a week plus daily short sessions in the morning before morning assembly/pledge-taking and during recess. It was her drive that kept former players coming back to visit during weekend trainings and the annual BBQ gathering.

tanjj

Back to top Go down

Post by aaronrajoo Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:56 am

The first thing i remember of my favourite teacher was his smile and his roaring laughter, His name was Mr Tan Khiang Seng, and he was an old man when i was in primary 2 (or thereabouts). He was a former colleague of my grand mother, and a pioneer in St michael's Primary school.

aaronrajoo

Back to top Go down

Post by aaronrajoo Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:50 am

Wilsonsim75 wrote:The first thing I remember about my favourite teacher is how she cared for all of us in the classroom. Through her words and action, I could feel her genuine care and concern. This helped to create a very safe environment for my friends and I to learn and to grow.

I'm curious, what was it that your teacher did specifically that made you feel that she cared?

aaronrajoo

Back to top Go down

Post by aaronrajoo Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:52 am

Nicholas Chua wrote:I only have a favourite teacher when I become an adult learner... so what I have learnt from him is to stay true to myself, embrace my weaknesses and be confident of my strength. When it comes to human relationship, I have learnt from him that it is important to choose my battles to fight, always under promise and over deliver, not being afraid to push boundaries, and to live/enjoy life to the fullest.

Do you mean that you didn't really like your teachers when you were in school? I'd like to know more about what it was like from your perspective as you were growing up in school. Surprised

aaronrajoo

Back to top Go down

Post by aaronrajoo Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:53 am

Charmain Loy wrote:My favourite teacher was my P6 English teacher who sent every student in a class a personal letter before the school year started to welcome us. The letter also contained instructions on how to make a personalized pencil case that had to function as a desk name tag as well. We had to bring this pencil case on the first day of school. It was a brilliant idea as it made all of us feel special, and the task helped her put a name to all the new faces. Throughout the course of the year, she was funny, encouraging and a great storyteller.

Love this! I will steal this idea. You'd be surprised at what JC students like Smile

aaronrajoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Thavam Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:56 pm

Wilsonsim75 wrote:The first thing I remember about my favourite teacher is how she cared for all of us in the classroom. Through her words and action, I could feel her genuine care and concern. This helped to create a very safe environment for my friends and I to learn and to grow.

A couple of my teachers were actually quite fierce, but they still appealed to me because we knew it was because they cared for us.

Thavam

Back to top Go down

Post by Thavam Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:00 pm

I wonder to what extent our favourite teachers influenced our personality as teachers...

Thavam

Back to top Go down

Post by lcybren Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:53 am

Selvathi wrote:The first thing I remember about my favourite teacher is how she diligently guided not only myself but the rest in the class to do well in Math and believe in myself. She gave us lots of practice each day and was patient to reteach concepts we did not understand.

Just wondering where is the place for 'tough love' in our profession. Many a times, students learn when we guide them, however, if we practice tough love in some situations. Does it mean that our students do not learn as much? Or that the teacher does not care as much?

lcybren

Back to top Go down

Footprints - Legacy of my favourite Teacher Empty He whose name cannot be said

Post by TimPEST Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:07 am

How does one determine a favourite? Can one have more than one favourite? Is it usually a sound rationale that determines our favourite. We labelled all teachers based on their most distinguishing traits. The more idiosyncratic and eccentric the teachers were the more popular they became. Often rising to the status of an iconic or cult figure. Each teacher you could say was affectionately or some would say abusingly, known for that distinctive hallmark quirk which would be either worshipped or ridiculed. I guess if Here was one I would have gravitated to, it would have been that someone who had taken an interest in me. The one that bothered to notice me and hear me out. This would have been the teacher that developed my potential and belief. This would also be the person that I would want to emulate and aspire to be like. In my school days I was blessed as there was more than one of these favourites who would contribute to my growth.

TimPEST

Back to top Go down

Footprints - Legacy of my favourite Teacher Empty Passion

Post by TimPEST Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:30 am

tanjj wrote:The legacy of my favorite teacher is the passion and dedication she has shown and put in for the volleyball ECA (now CCA) back then, trainings 3 times a week plus daily short sessions in the morning before morning assembly/pledge-taking and during recess. It was her drive that kept former players coming back to visit during weekend trainings and the annual BBQ gathering.

What is passion? What makes a teacher commit to the insane and tedious schedule beyond the call of duty. I don't have any answer but I sense that anyone observing such an individual would most definitely be inspired or ponder over the selfless actions.

TimPEST

Back to top Go down

Post by TimPEST Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:36 am

Tis' odd why does the reply to post come under quote or have I got it wrong. Where is my teacher?
Coming back to care, we now read about establishing TSR and its importance in building that trust and relationship between student and teacher. In the end the human spirit can tell if there is genuine show of care or false display of sincere concern.
Kudos to the teacher who every day take the time and effort to show their genuine care like yours did.

TimPEST

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheryl Ng Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:12 am

The first thing I remember about my favourite teacher is how she bothered to put all our worksheets in a plastic bag (like those we use to buy fruits in the supermarket) instead of using a rubber band. She said it was because the rubber band tends to "cut" the sides of our worksheets and she felt that she was dishonouring our effort if she didn't treat our worksheets with care.

Although it sounded a little strange but what impacted me was the fact that she valued our efforts. That counted for something.

Cheryl Ng

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheryl Ng Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:19 am

Nicholas Chua wrote:I only have a favourite teacher when I become an adult learner... so what I have learnt from him is to stay true to myself, embrace my weaknesses and be confident of my strength. When it comes to human relationship, I have learnt from him that it is important to choose my battles to fight, always under promise and over deliver, not being afraid to push boundaries, and to live/enjoy life to the fullest.

It's a blessing to meet wonderful teachers even when we are teachers ourselves. Glad you met one whom you can respect and be inspired from!

Cheryl Ng

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next