Tapestry@School
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Footprints - Legacy of my favourite Teacher

+15
Michelle Teo
Cheryl Ng
TimPEST
lcybren
Thavam
aaronrajoo
tanjj
Wilsonsim75
Joel Ow Yong
Nicholas Chua
Charmain Loy
JustinL
ElaineY
Selvathi
Admin
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Footprints - Legacy of my favourite Teacher - Page 2 Empty Re: Footprints - Legacy of my favourite Teacher

Post by Cheryl Ng Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:20 am

JustinL wrote:My favourite teacher was my form teacher in Sec 2 - Mrs Rosie Khoo. She taught our class English and History. She infused many interesting activities during her lessons that brought out the best in these subjects. Very encouraging teacher, she always used our written work for class discussion and recognized us for the strengths of our work. This motivated us to be serious in completing work set by her.

Lessons must have been very fun and at the same time, motivational!

Cheryl Ng

Back to top Go down

Footprints - Legacy of my favourite Teacher - Page 2 Empty Re: Footprints - Legacy of my favourite Teacher

Post by Michelle Teo Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:11 am

My favorite teacher - I couldn't quite surface any names when I first thought about it. And this is not because I had a lesser experience in school. In the process of thinking about this, I realized that there was various qualities from different teachers that I found favourable, and to some degree I may have tried to emulate these, sometimes subconsciously. To then call out selected names as my 'favourite' teacher might then not do justice to the good work that many of my teachers have done.

Some of the qualities of the teachers that have been an immense blessing to me, as I think about this, are then as follows:
* Ms Seow, my primary school teacher - who in her deep commitment to her work and teaching of values drew much respect and admiration from me even as a child in primary school.
* Mrs Yuen, who went beyond the call of duty to know me as a person
* Mrs Low, who demonstrated that deep passion manifests itself in the classroom in the most natural way.
* Ms Annie Tan, who though firm was equally sensitive to how students are coping.
* Ms Chong, who extended her teaching to me beyond my school says.

To be able to list the names, with more coming to mind, is quite a heartening exercise. Smile

Michelle Teo

Back to top Go down

Post by tanjj Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:18 am

Charmain Loy wrote:My favourite teacher was my P6 English teacher who sent every student in a class a personal letter before the school year started to welcome us. The letter also contained instructions on how to make a personalized pencil case that had to function as a desk name tag as well. We had to bring this pencil case on the first day of school. It was a brilliant idea as it made all of us feel special, and the task helped her put a name to all the new faces. Throughout the course of the year, she was funny, encouraging and a great storyteller.

Wow! That's a nice personal touch by your EL tr! Did she follow up the class from P5?

tanjj

Back to top Go down

Post by tanjj Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:23 am

Thavam wrote:
Wilsonsim75 wrote:The first thing I remember about my favourite teacher is how she cared for all of us in the classroom. Through her words and action, I could feel her genuine care and concern. This helped to create a very safe environment for my friends and I to learn and to grow.

A couple of my teachers were actually quite fierce, but they still appealed to me because we knew it was because they cared for us.

It's really a case of tough love!

tanjj

Back to top Go down

Post by rachelgoh Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:35 am

The first thing I remember about my lower primary teacher was how she was kind and motherly. She spoke gently to us and never raised her voice.

rachelgoh

Back to top Go down

Post by rachelgoh Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:39 am

Cheryl Ng wrote:The first thing I remember about my favourite teacher is how she bothered to put all our worksheets in a plastic bag (like those we use to buy fruits in the supermarket) instead of using a rubber band. She said it was because the rubber band tends to "cut" the sides of our worksheets and she felt that she was dishonouring our effort if she didn't treat our worksheets with care.

Although it sounded a little strange but what impacted me was the fact that she valued our efforts. That counted for something.

Cheryl, this reminds me of how important it is to do small things with great LOVE.

rachelgoh

Back to top Go down

Post by tanjj Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:16 pm

Michelle Teo wrote:My favorite teacher - I couldn't quite surface any names when I first thought about it. And this is not because I had a lesser experience in school. In the process of thinking about this, I realized that there was various qualities from different teachers that I found favourable, and to some degree I may have tried to emulate these, sometimes subconsciously. To then call out selected names as my 'favourite' teacher might then not do justice to the good work that many of my teachers have done.

Some of the qualities of the teachers that have been an immense blessing to me, as I think about this, are then as follows:
* Ms Seow, my primary school teacher - who in her deep commitment to her work and teaching of values drew much respect and admiration from me even as a child in primary school.
* Mrs Low, who demonstrated that deep passion manifests itself in the classroom in the most natural way.
* Ms Annie Tan, who though firm was equally sensitive to how students are coping.

To be able to list the names, with more coming to mind, is quite a heartening exercise. Smile

It must have brought back wonderful memories for you too!

tanjj

Back to top Go down

Post by AdrianT Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:23 pm

My favourite teacher is my art teacher.

As a young 13 -16 year old a subject that enabled me to experience a new freedom to explore, discover new 'visual possibilities' and create images caught my attention. My art teacher made art-learning enjoyable, open and engaging beyond lesson time.

My art teacher fueled a lifelong interest in art for me, he taught me a nuanced language that I am still fascinated with up till today. The many opportunities that he opened us up to mark-make, explore shades/colours and investigate form/spaces made art learning an intriguing process.

Just thought I would share this special teacher.

AdrianT

Back to top Go down

Post by Selvathi Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:15 pm

Charmain Loy wrote:My favourite teacher was my P6 English teacher who sent every student in a class a personal letter before the school year started to welcome us. The letter also contained instructions on how to make a personalized pencil case that had to function as a desk name tag as well. We had to bring this pencil case on the first day of school. It was a brilliant idea as it made all of us feel special, and the task helped her put a name to all the new faces. Throughout the course of the year, she was funny, encouraging and a great storyteller.

Wow amazing imagine the effort and passion the teacher had to write a personalised letter to all. This is going the extra mile.

Selvathi

Back to top Go down

Post by osm36@yahoo.com Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:59 am

I like your comment about pushing boundaries:) ... sometimes we are constrained by what we believe is the system and fail to explore possibilities. I believe that we should always be questioning the system and be willing to share our views and thoughts if it helps to better the processes.

osm36@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by osm36@yahoo.com Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:06 am

tanjj wrote:

Wow! That's a nice personal touch by your EL tr! Did she follow up the class from P5?

Thank you for sharing this. I will share with my class at the NIE pre-service. I think it is a wonderful example of TSR and how the teacher builds a culture of care. I remember how another person also shared about how the teacher would send a mail every term to affirm the students and also update the parents.

osm36@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by osm36@yahoo.com Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:14 am

I have had much opportunity to learn from many people both formally and informally. I cannot name any favorites, simply because each one of the people I have come into contact with educate me in so many different ways and continue to help me see the world in different lights. I believe all the learning has helped to expand my horizon and made me a better person. As an educator, I am constantly learning and seeking to see how I can pay it forward so as to inspire other educators.

osm36@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by osm36@yahoo.com Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:28 pm

JustinL wrote:My favourite teacher was my form teacher in Sec 2 - Mrs Rosie Khoo. She taught our class English and History. She infused many interesting activities during her lessons that brought out the best in these subjects. Very encouraging teacher, she always used our written work for class discussion and recognized us for the strengths of our work. This motivated us to be serious in completing work set by her.

My History teacher made us underline the textbook but we were in awe of her as she had written the 10yr series for the history syllabus then. We enjoyed her stories and personal narratives Smile

osm36@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JustinL Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:41 pm

ElaineY wrote:Her smile and her warmth. The class climate was wonderful and I felt safe and looked forward to going to school. She made us feel valued. That meant a lot to an 11-year old.

A skillful teacher indeed, as she was able to positively influence her class to want to learn.

JustinL

Back to top Go down

Post by JustinL Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:43 pm

Michelle Teo wrote:My favorite teacher - I couldn't quite surface any names when I first thought about it. And this is not because I had a lesser experience in school. In the process of thinking about this, I realized that there was various qualities from different teachers that I found favourable, and to some degree I may have tried to emulate these, sometimes subconsciously. To then call out selected names as my 'favourite' teacher might then not do justice to the good work that many of my teachers have done.

Thanks for your sharing. The long list of names you could still remember is simply amazing! It means you had the great fortune of landing in classes of infinitely many good teachers. Smile

JustinL

Back to top Go down

Post by jac Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:03 pm

ElaineY wrote:Her smile and her warmth. The class climate was wonderful and I felt safe and looked forward to going to school. She made us feel valued. That meant a lot to an 11-year old.

I agree with you Elaine! I love lessons when the teachers are warm. It makes me feel that she cares for me as a person instead of just another student in a class of 40 students. Smile

jac

Back to top Go down

Post by jac Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:05 pm

Selvathi wrote:

Wow amazing imagine the effort and passion the teacher had to write a personalised letter to all. This is going the extra mile.

WOW indeed! I like the part of a personal letter but haven't heard of teachers giving instructions to make a personalized pencil case. That is totally original!! Very Happy

jac

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineY Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:22 am

AdrianT wrote:My favourite teacher is my art teacher.

As a young 13 -16 year old a subject that enabled me to experience a new freedom to explore, discover new 'visual possibilities' and create images caught my attention. My art teacher made art-learning enjoyable, open and engaging beyond lesson time.

My art teacher fueled a lifelong interest in art for me, he taught me a nuanced language that I am still fascinated with up till today. The many opportunities that he opened us up to mark-make, explore shades/colours and investigate form/spaces made art learning an intriguing process.

Just thought I would share this special teacher.

Special, indeed, is the teacher who inspires us long after our time with them is gone..

ElaineY

Back to top Go down

Post by ElaineY Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:30 am

Cheryl Ng wrote:The first thing I remember about my favourite teacher is how she bothered to put all our worksheets in a plastic bag (like those we use to buy fruits in the supermarket) instead of using a rubber band. She said it was because the rubber band tends to "cut" the sides of our worksheets and she felt that she was dishonouring our effort if she didn't treat our worksheets with care.

Although it sounded a little strange but what impacted me was the fact that she valued our efforts. That counted for something.

It's amazing how the little things go a loooonnnnnggg way in impacting another person.

ElaineY

Back to top Go down

Post by AdrianT Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:39 pm

It is amazing how teachers can leave an indelible mark on us- the stories, the acts of encouragement and the true spirit of teaching resides in the simple gestures.

I do appreciate teachers who 'make us feel special' in small ways.

It's the details that matters, the personal touch...

AdrianT

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelle Teo Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:11 pm

TimPEST wrote:How does one determine a favourite? Can one have more than one favourite? Is it usually a sound rationale that determines our favourite. We labelled all teachers based on their most distinguishing traits.  The more idiosyncratic and eccentric the teachers were the more popular  they became. Often rising to the status of an iconic or cult figure. Each teacher you could say was affectionately or some would say abusingly, known for that distinctive hallmark quirk which would be either worshipped or ridiculed. I guess if  Here was one I would have gravitated to, it would have been that someone who had taken an interest in me. The one that bothered to notice me and hear me out. This would have been the teacher that developed my potential and belief. This would also be the person that I would want to emulate and aspire to be like. In my school days I was blessed as there was more than one of these favourites who would contribute to my growth.

I think I would concur very much with the rhetoric raised in "can one have more than one favorite?" Smile

Michelle Teo

Back to top Go down

Post by Michelle Teo Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:16 pm

Nicholas Chua wrote:I only have a favourite teacher when I become an adult learner... so what I have learnt from him is to stay true to myself, embrace my weaknesses and be confident of my strength. When it comes to human relationship, I have learnt from him that it is important to choose my battles to fight, always under promise and over deliver, not being afraid to push boundaries, and to live/enjoy life to the fullest.

I think your post nicely sums up that what catches our attention most about teachers are more their humane qualities, above their competencies.

Michelle Teo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2